This year’s first Dance Party was at Valencia Library with many more to come to both Newhall and Canyon Country libraries.
Newhall’s are: February 6th and April 3rd.
Canyon Country’s are: February 14th and March 14th.
All of them are from 10:30 AM – 11:15 AM and designed for ages 2-5.
We all enjoy having the dance parties at our libraries and they are a lot of fun for everyone. Although they aren’t formatted like a traditional storytime, there are many benefits to song, dance, and movement. Below is an age breakdown from 2-5 on some of the important developmental milestones that our dance sessions are contributing to:
Age 2: Age 3:
1) Stands on tiptoe. 1) Climbs well.
2) Begins to run. 2) Runs easily.
3) Makes or copies straight lines and circles. 3) Follows instructions with 2 or 3 steps.
Age 4: Age 5:
1) Hops and stands on one foot up to 2 seconds. 1) Hops; may be able to skip.
2) Cooperates with other children. 2) Swings and climbs.
3) Sings a song or says a poem from memory such 3) Stands on one foot for 10
as the “Itsy Bitsy Spider” or the “Wheels on the bus.” seconds or longer.
(Information retrieved from the Department of Health & Human Services and the CDC at www.cdc.gov/actearly)
We recommend these books for your 2-5 year old kids to enjoy after a dance session:
In addition, we recommend these artists for singing and dancing fun at home. Some of their songs can be downloaded from our free music service, Freegal.