This is one of the coolest simple crafts! Scratch the surface of your homemade paper and you will see a colorful masterpiece emerge.
sturdy paper, white watercolor paper or cardstock work well
crayons or oil pastels
*black paint, acrylic, poster, or tempera
paintbrush or foam brush
shallow container for the paint
toothpick, wooden skewer, or similar tool
*if you don’t have black paint you can use a different color, but the contrast is best with darker colors
- Use crayons to color in a sheet of paper, make sure to press hard and fill in all the white space, use lots of colors and try any pattern you like
*to speed up the coloring process use a half or quarter sheet of paper
- Mix black paint with a few drops of dish soap in a container, the ratio should be approximately 2 parts paint to 1 part soap
- Cover your work surface for easy clean-up and paint an even layer of paint over the crayon
- If you need a second layer, wait until the first layer dries completely
*I only used one layer of paint, I was fine with few streaks of crayon showing
- Once your paper is dry use a toothpick or similar tool to scratch out your drawing
6. Have fun and try different patterns and designs!
Looking for more fun crafts? Check out our free eBooks and videos on Overdrive
Looking for more awesome activities to do from home? Join our Spring Reading Program — It’s free! Track your reading, play games, and complete cool missions!