This craft was part of the Summer Reading Program Grab and Go kits for the week of July 20th. In preparation for the Mars 2020 launch scheduled for end of July 2020 we are making our very own rovers! The challenge is to make your own rover using upcycled supplies. Like NASA engineers, you’ll have to solve problems with limited resources using creativity!
For those wanting a little more of a challenge try adding these extra tasks:
- Make a rover that can withstand a drop from the top of a stepping stool.
- Can you make a rover that can withstand weights being put on top of it? How many weights?
- Can you make a rover that moves using something other than wheels?
- If pushed down a hill or slope, how far can it go?
Kits are available at all three Santa Clarita Libraries on the following days:
- Tuesday July 21 from 2-5 pm at Valencia library.
- Wednesday July 22 from 2-5 pm at Canyon Country library.
- Thursday July 23 from 2-5 pm at Newhall library.
Kits are available on a first come first serve basis, limit one kit per child please!
Questions about Summer Reading? Send Mr. David an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ve also collected a bunch of resources from our friends at JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) who have shared a bunch of links to information on space travel and Mars 2020.
To watch launch on-line:
Mars Helicopter ‘Ingenuity’